Sunday 24 April 2016

Wallet Takes a Hit

I am forging ahead getting things ready for Tuesday night, I received my little extras from Colin at Charlie Foxtrot Models so I managed to roof my last building along with completing the little outbuildings which I hope will enhance my wargaming experience. I swapped the roofs which came with the models for some corrugated tin from 4Ground, this stuff is great and looks even better with a rust wash, I think you will agree.

Shed, log store and WC's.

Out building and those telegraph poles along with the extras.
That is it for my buildings at the moment, I do want to eventually get the beautiful school building from Colin and maybe get enough others to put a 'street' together but that is for the future. I want to concentrate on finishing off my British and German forces now, the plan being to get up to around 1000 - 1500 points for both. I now have the basic starting force for both sides, a platoon of three squads along with HMG, mortar, sniper and anti-tank support, I had forgotten the spotters for the mortars but have painted them up this morning, I also have a choice of recce vehicles for both sides although I am still waiting for the British armoured car from Blitzkrieg.

I now have to turn my attention to all the lovely vehicles I can get before beefing my infantry squads up to ten men and maybe adding one more. I am going to give my troops the choice of transport vehicles so that means mainly trucks with maybe one halftrack for each, M5 or M3 or SdKfz 251/1, now this sounds easy but the price of these things is frankly expensive. The cheapest truck I could find was £18, I eventually went with two at £21 because along with a couple of other things this got me free postage, £42 for two bog standard trucks!

Nearly all the motorised stuff comes in at these prices, even the tiny jeep is £15 on average. OK you don't have to get all this for Bolt Action but being a wargamer you pretty much will want it to complete your forces. I am looking at up to three jeeps, three trucks/halftracks, an anti-tank gun and tow and a choice of tanks/SP guns or AA vehicles or maybe an SP howitzer or tank killer, and all this for both sides. Four hundred of your English quids at least. This suddenly looks like a long term project, birthdays, Father's days and Christmas' are now all sorted.

On the bright side I have the beginnings of two decent forces already and they can only be improved upon as time passes.

2 comments:

  1. Crumbs, you need to post your rusty roof painting recipe!! That's absolutely spot on.
    Very decent of you to provide a couple of WC's on the table ;o)
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No recipe Matt, straight out of the tin, Ammo Mig Rust Tracks and Dark Rust. I was going to experiment but they worked perfectly and they put a little ball bearing in the bottle!

      Delete